Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Things that Really Get in My Craw: Chapter 1

Hey Everyone,

So I fought the desire to post about this but I have decided in the end that I would do it anyways. A few days ago http://www.trekmovie.com/ posted pictures of a new cake that Ace of Cakes which airs on the Food Network would be featuring a Star Trek themed cake in one of next season's episodes:


Pretty sweet huh? I will be all about having this cake at my birthday (hint! hint!). Anyways it appears said sweet treat has caused quite the stir. When the article was published it elicited a number of responses one of which was the following:

"THIS IS A DISASTER I CAN’T BELIEVE THEY PUT SCOTTY IN THE NAVIGATOR’S POSITION I CAN’T BELIEVE THESE PEOPLE ARE SO CLUELESS ABOUT THE BASICS OF STAR TREK THIS IS A DISASTER"

Now clearly the poster was joking but at first a few people, thought he was serious and responded in kind:

“Ugh Sean you make us look all INSANE! It’s a cake…nothing more…it’s not meant to be canon. Just relax dude. Who gives a frak if the small little cake people are not sitting in the right chair. Lords of Kobol protect us all! If anyone saw the G4 Star Trek ads they ran then we all know that Spock doesn’t have a sanctuary where Scotty DJs.”

I have NO IDEA who would respond like that…but whatevs. At any rate it seems that a number of websites have picked up on the small little post that could and have generated a number of articles:

io9.com: Star Trek Cake Upsets Nerds

LA Times: Star Trek cake sours on some Trekkies

FoodNetworkAddict.com: Nerd Alert: An Ace of Cakes Star Trek Slip Up

GrinningSkull.com: Nerds Up In Arms!

I think the titles of the articles really do speak for themselves but in case they don’t…what I love about this whole thing is that the economy can be recession, wars in various country, a genocide happening and nobody seems to give a frak or even know what Darfur is, and yet something as small and as completely unimportant as someone making a tongue in cheek joke like this gets top coverage and that is what really gets in my craw.

Until next time, keep fit and have fun.
-
--Timbo!

No comments: